Friday, September 26, 2008

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.2: Volodos interpretation

Today I was occupied with listening of Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.2. And I’ve found a recording of Arkadi Volodos. Besides this I also have heard the interpretations of Kissin, Beresovsky, Rachmaninov, Gavrilov, Hanada, Weissenberg. This is one of the most beautiful piano concertos ever composed I think. The widely singing melody and amazing Rachmaninov’s harmony make this concerto absolutely unique.

I like to compare several renditions of one piece. It is always interesting, what have one or another interpreter find in well known composition and how does he feel this music. Let look to the Volodos version.



In Volodos’ interpretation should be noted a very good balance between the piano and the orchestra and not only this. A voices balance in the piano part is also absolutely perfect. I heard many melodic lines, which I didn’t hear before.


And the second thing is an amazing tempo. Actually I prefer the first part of this concerto to be played more slowly, especially first chords. But this tempo let the interpreter make the form of this concerto more understandable and perfected. Many pianists make the first part aspiring to the culmination in reprise. It seems to me that Volodos unites all parts and further development of a musical reflection is aspiring to the culmination in the third part and the end of the concerto.



And the third part is absolutely great. The sound is full of life energy and reminds spring high water. Although all lyric places are absolutely tranquil and melodious, they are not taken out of context and general movement.
The Volodos’ style of performance impresses me by an incredible easiness of technical places which is mixed with perfect articulation and large scale of dynamic nuances.



Users from youtube service write “volodos scares me” or “Volodos is awesome!!”.
After I have heard the third part of Rachmaninov’s concerto No2 played by Arkadi Volodos I have the same feeling should I admit…

Haydn's Miracle Symphony No.102

They call Joseph Haydn the father in music. He is considered to be, indirectly, the father of both the symphony and the string quartet, hav...