Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Fifteen uncommon music terms

I have made a little list of less known Italian words, which are often used as musical terms. Honestly, many of them were unfamiliar for me and every time when I saw such a word in the score, I was puzzled what this word might mean. So I decided to look these words up and write them down, to not lose my time searching next time or trying to remember their meaning. Well, here are fifteen uncommon Italian music terms. Perhaps, they can be useful for you.

Apais̩ Рcalmed
Bisbigliando – whispering
Bruscamente – brusquely
Con slancio – with enthusiasm
Dolente – sorrowfully
Fiacco – feeble
Lusingando – coaxingly
Perdendosi – dying away
Repente – suddenly
Sognando – dreamily
Spianato – smooth
Stentato – labored
Stinto – faded
Tosto – rapidly
Volante – flying

Haydn's Miracle Symphony No.102

They call Joseph Haydn the father in music. He is considered to be, indirectly, the father of both the symphony and the string quartet, hav...