Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Beethoven Pathetique Sonata No8

The Beethoven’s Piano Sonata No8 in C minor op. 13, also known as “Pathetique” is very famous, one of the most famous Beethoven’s sonatas, I think the second after the “Moonlight” sonata. It was written when Beethoven was 27 years old.

I have just heard the first part of Beethoven’s Piano Sonata No8 “Pathetique” performed by Freddy Kempf.



The rendition of the first chords which are marked with fp by Beethoven is for me quite strange. I never heard this place performed in such way and it seems to me too “verbatim et literatim”. But generally I like this interpretation of the Beethoven’s Pathetique Sonata, it is very understandably and consonant to my feelings, with large dynamic scale and typical Beethoven’s sudden sforzandos. There is a lot of the air in the pauses.
Generally I like the performance style of Freddy Kempf. His interpretation is always very delicate and heartfelt, full of passion and love to the music which he is playing. I was really upset when he didn’t take the first prize in the International Tchaikovsky competition.

Haydn's Miracle Symphony No.102

They call Joseph Haydn the father in music. He is considered to be, indirectly, the father of both the symphony and the string quartet, hav...