Friday, June 3, 2011

Chopin and Czechs: Is There a Connection?

In these latter days I pay much attention to Czech composers: exclusive of Janáček (about whom I wrote yesterday), I also turn to heritage of Antonín Dvořák and Jan Dismas Zelenka. Today I decided to write about Chopin’s Fantaisie-Impromptu, saying to myself that it will be something that doesn't have anything to do with the second most peaceful country in Europe. But no, as it turned out, the first Chopin’s piano tutor was no other than Wojciech Żywny (Czech? check) and the first impromptu ever was composed by Jan Václav Voříšek, in turn. (Who, among other things, lived for twelve years in Vienna - thus, even undercover capital of classical music bears Czech imprint.)

What’s most important concerning the subject of this post is that version of Fantaisie-Impromptu by Czech pianist Antonín Kubálek is one of the best I have heard. (It is present on his CD titled My Gift to You: Piano Encores, but sadly not on YouTube, otherwise I would embed it.) Sheet music of Chopin’s prominent piece is available here: Fantaisie-Impromptu for Piano, Op.66.

Haydn's Miracle Symphony No.102

They call Joseph Haydn the father in music. He is considered to be, indirectly, the father of both the symphony and the string quartet, hav...